Ah, California! The Golden State. A place of nearly endless summers and mild winters (usually). But this unique climate has its own set of quirks that can impact the heating and cooling systems in your home.
We’ve been offering furnace and air conditioning service in the Central Valley long enough to know the importance of accounting for California’s specific environmental factors. Understanding how these affect your HVAC equipment can help you anticipate and overcome potential problems. Let’s take a closer look.
What to Plan For When Heating California Homes
Look Out for Temperature Fluctuations
California’s winters might be mild, but sudden temperature drops can happen. Here’s how it affects your heating:
- Unpredictability: You may find yourself switching from AC to heating within hours.
- Equipment Stress: Sudden demands can put stress on your heating system.
What You Can Do: Regularly check your thermostat and have a professional look at the system before winter kicks in.
Anticipate Humidity Levels
California can get quite humid, especially in the winter. This can affect your heating equipment in several ways:
- Reduced Efficiency: Humidity may cause your heating system to work harder.
- Potential Damage: Increased humidity can lead to rust and other damages.
- What You Can Do: Investing in a dehumidifier can help maintain optimal indoor humidity levels during the winter (although you may also want a whole-home humidifier to add moisture to your air during our dry summer months).
Consider the Coastal Influence
If you live near the coast, salty air can influence your heating in a few different ways as well:
- Corrosion Issues: Salt in the air leads to an increased risk of corrosion in your HVAC system over time.
- Increased Breakdowns: Corrosion on your blower fan or heating elements can force your furnace to work harder than necessary, driving up your utility bills and raising your risk of a costly emergency.
What You Can Do: Schedule regular maintenance for your furnace (including regular duct cleaning). This will help remove salt particles before they have a chance to corrode your system.
What to Remember When Cooling California Homes
Get Ready for Hot Summer Days
The heat in California can be relentless. Here’s how it affects your cooling:
- Increased Workload: Your AC works overtime during hot spells.
- High Energy Bills: Running your cooling equipment constantly throughout the day leads to higher utility bills.
What You Can Do: Shade your outdoor unit and try to keep the thermostat at a consistent setting.
Keep an Eye On Air Quality
Air quality (especially in urban areas) can influence cooling and impact your home comfort as well. Here’s how:
- Filtering Challenges: More pollutants in the air can clog filters faster than usual.
- Health Concerns: Poor air quality might cause discomfort or make respiratory problems worse.
Why Hiring Professional HVAC Technicians Matters
Trust us on this one—hiring professional HVAC technicians is crucial for you to enjoy comfort at home all year round. Here’s why working with our team at Cencal is a smart move:
- Expertise & Skill: With decades of experience serving the Central Valley, we know the ins and outs of California’s climate and how it affects your system.
- Routine Maintenance: Regular checks can catch problems early, saving you money in the long run. Our AC tune-ups start at just $89, and include a comprehensive multi-point inspection of your system to make sure there are no impending issues.
- Safety Assurance: Our total satisfaction promise helps ensure your equipment is functioning safely and efficiently. We never consider our work finished until you’ve approved it.
- Customized Solutions: Our professionals tailor heating and cooling solutions to your specific needs. We don’t just consider the climate—we also consider your home, lifestyle, and comfort preferences to provide solutions that work for you.
California’s weather can be as complex as it is beautiful, but that doesn’t mean your comfort should suffer. Now that you know how the climate impacts your heating and cooling systems, you can take actionable steps to stay cozy and cost-effective.
Contact Cencal Mechanical Heating & Air to make sure your HVAC system is prepared to deal with everything our state can throw at it. Here’s to enjoying your California home, come rain or shine!